What's an interesting thing you've learned about recently?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've been learning about Linux, and am currently tinkering with KDE's Activities feature, and trying to figure out how to use it to organize my stuff better. Soon I'll be getting rid of Windows on my main laptop. Big Grin
I've been learning about Linux, and am currently tinkering with KDE's Activities feature, and trying to figure out how to use it to organize my stuff better. Soon I'll be getting rid of Windows on my main laptop. Big Grin
Nice! I used to be interested in Linux, But the compatibility with Windows is too good to leave even though I hate Windows 10, I don't have an actual computer anymore but I would downgrade to Windows 7.
Nice! I used to be interested in Linux, But the compatibility with Windows is too good to leave even though I hate Windows 10, I don't have an actual computer anymore but I would downgrade to Windows 7.
(01-07-2020, 02:04 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: Nice! I used to be interested in Linux, But the compatibility with Windows is too good to leave even though I hate Windows 10, I don't have an actual computer anymore but I would downgrade to Windows 7.
I probably would have stuck with Windows 7 forever, if it would work on newer computers. Since I tried Manjaro I realized that even Windows 7 is shit though. I'm going to attempt to convert my gaming PC to Linux as well - apparently a good percentage of games run quite decently through Wine / Proton these days. I guess I have to thank Microsnot for making Windows 10 so shitty. That motivated me to finally put in the effort to give Linux a serious go.
Wink
(01-07-2020, 02:04 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: Nice! I used to be interested in Linux, But the compatibility with Windows is too good to leave even though I hate Windows 10, I don't have an actual computer anymore but I would downgrade to Windows 7.
I probably would have stuck with Windows 7 forever, if it would work on newer computers. Since I tried Manjaro I realized that even Windows 7 is shit though. I'm going to attempt to convert my gaming PC to Linux as well - apparently a good percentage of games run quite decently through Wine / Proton these days. I guess I have to thank Microsnot for making Windows 10 so shitty. That motivated me to finally put in the effort to give Linux a serious go.
Wink
(01-07-2020, 02:55 PM)SoulRiser Wrote: I probably would have stuck with Windows 7 forever, if it would work on newer computers. Since I tried Manjaro I realized that even Windows 7 is shit though. I'm going to attempt to convert my gaming PC to Linux as well - apparently a good percentage of games run quite decently through Wine / Proton these days. I guess I have to thank Microsnot for making Windows 10 so shitty. That motivated me to finally put in the effort to give Linux a serious go. 
Wink
I don't think I ever got windows 7 to work on my pc and idk why. Why do you think windows 7 is shit though? I personally think it's pretty great. And I do somewhat doubt you'll get Wine running something like a new AAA game. If your into indie games like I am though I can see it working well.
(01-07-2020, 02:55 PM)SoulRiser Wrote: I probably would have stuck with Windows 7 forever, if it would work on newer computers. Since I tried Manjaro I realized that even Windows 7 is shit though. I'm going to attempt to convert my gaming PC to Linux as well - apparently a good percentage of games run quite decently through Wine / Proton these days. I guess I have to thank Microsnot for making Windows 10 so shitty. That motivated me to finally put in the effort to give Linux a serious go. 
Wink
I don't think I ever got windows 7 to work on my pc and idk why. Why do you think windows 7 is shit though? I personally think it's pretty great. And I do somewhat doubt you'll get Wine running something like a new AAA game. If your into indie games like I am though I can see it working well.
(01-07-2020, 03:10 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: I don't think I ever got windows 7 to work on my pc and idk why. Why do you think windows 7 is shit though? I personally think it's pretty great. And I do somewhat doubt you'll get Wine running something like a new AAA game. If your into indie games like I am though I can see it working well.

If it was a newer PC, it might be CPU compatibility. I think a lot of newer CPU's need the OS to support some or other feature that Windows 7 doesn't.

I suppose saying Win7 is shit is a bit harsh. It's still the best Windows I've ever used by far, and better than several of the Linuxes I've tried. I just don't really enjoy using it, and it starts swapping things onto disk when I go over 50% RAM usage, which is pretty annoying when I have 16GB of the stuff. Also it randomly decides to turn off Aero while I'm in a game, and then everything lags to slideshow speeds. I have a game that I can't run in windowed mode without Aero enabled, or I get like half the FPS I'm supposed to. It's weird.

On protondb.com you can check how well games work on Linux. I mostly just play like 2-4 games which are technically kinda old now. GTA Online apparently works, I haven't tested it yet though. But yeah, I can decide which games to get in future depending on how well they work on Linux. I don't mind having to fiddle with stuff to get it working.
Smile
(01-07-2020, 03:10 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: I don't think I ever got windows 7 to work on my pc and idk why. Why do you think windows 7 is shit though? I personally think it's pretty great. And I do somewhat doubt you'll get Wine running something like a new AAA game. If your into indie games like I am though I can see it working well.

If it was a newer PC, it might be CPU compatibility. I think a lot of newer CPU's need the OS to support some or other feature that Windows 7 doesn't.

I suppose saying Win7 is shit is a bit harsh. It's still the best Windows I've ever used by far, and better than several of the Linuxes I've tried. I just don't really enjoy using it, and it starts swapping things onto disk when I go over 50% RAM usage, which is pretty annoying when I have 16GB of the stuff. Also it randomly decides to turn off Aero while I'm in a game, and then everything lags to slideshow speeds. I have a game that I can't run in windowed mode without Aero enabled, or I get like half the FPS I'm supposed to. It's weird.

On protondb.com you can check how well games work on Linux. I mostly just play like 2-4 games which are technically kinda old now. GTA Online apparently works, I haven't tested it yet though. But yeah, I can decide which games to get in future depending on how well they work on Linux. I don't mind having to fiddle with stuff to get it working.
Smile
(01-07-2020, 03:34 PM)SoulRiser Wrote: If it was a newer PC, it might be CPU compatibility. I think a lot of newer CPU's need the OS to support some or other feature that Windows 7 doesn't.

Smile
I've never been a PC gamer (even though I want to be) so I can't really relate with those problems. Its safe to say that unfortunately Windows 10 is probably the best OS for PC gaming though. Btw, what PC do you have right now? Im looking for a good budget PC ATM.
(01-07-2020, 03:34 PM)SoulRiser Wrote: If it was a newer PC, it might be CPU compatibility. I think a lot of newer CPU's need the OS to support some or other feature that Windows 7 doesn't.

Smile
I've never been a PC gamer (even though I want to be) so I can't really relate with those problems. Its safe to say that unfortunately Windows 10 is probably the best OS for PC gaming though. Btw, what PC do you have right now? Im looking for a good budget PC ATM.
I'm still running my old Intel 2600K CPU with 16GB RAM that I got in 2011. I've upgraded the graphics card a few times though, currently using a Radeon RX 580. If you manage to find something similar second hand, it should run Windows 7 just fine. If 60fps is good enough for you, this PC runs even newer games just fine.
I'm still running my old Intel 2600K CPU with 16GB RAM that I got in 2011. I've upgraded the graphics card a few times though, currently using a Radeon RX 580. If you manage to find something similar second hand, it should run Windows 7 just fine. If 60fps is good enough for you, this PC runs even newer games just fine.
I'm also learning Linux. Because, I've an attraction on this Operating System. So, I installed the Kali Linux in my PC. But I face in some problems and finally reinstalled the Windows. I'm a content writer in the different blogs and website. I'm writing professionally. For that reason, I have to back my previous OS. But I don't stop... I'm using Virtual Box to keep learning. At the same times, I'm flowing my educational related article learning in the sites.
I'm also learning Linux. Because, I've an attraction on this Operating System. So, I installed the Kali Linux in my PC. But I face in some problems and finally reinstalled the Windows. I'm a content writer in the different blogs and website. I'm writing professionally. For that reason, I have to back my previous OS. But I don't stop... I'm using Virtual Box to keep learning. At the same times, I'm flowing my educational related article learning in the sites.