What pisses you off the most about school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For me it was/is:
  • The fact that it's compulsory and people act like it's "for your own good"
  • Sadistic teachers and no easy way to get away from them
  • Bullies, and most of the useless "advice" for dealing with them. How about you useless adults actually keep assholes away from other people?
  • I forgot like 95% of the shit I "learned" there now, what the fuck did I waste 12 years of my life being traumatized for? I want a refund.
For me it was/is:
  • The fact that it's compulsory and people act like it's "for your own good"
  • Sadistic teachers and no easy way to get away from them
  • Bullies, and most of the useless "advice" for dealing with them. How about you useless adults actually keep assholes away from other people?
  • I forgot like 95% of the shit I "learned" there now, what the fuck did I waste 12 years of my life being traumatized for? I want a refund.
My least favorite thing is that grades and doing meaningless slave work and it being considered more important then my mental health. I once told a teacher I want to die (albeit out of anger/stress) IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE and nobody cared.
My least favorite thing is that grades and doing meaningless slave work and it being considered more important then my mental health. I once told a teacher I want to die (albeit out of anger/stress) IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE and nobody cared.
(01-07-2020, 01:38 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: I once told a teacher I want to die (albeit out of anger/stress) IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE and nobody cared.
Damn, that's really pathetic of them. Sad
(01-07-2020, 01:38 PM)Calvinishere3 Wrote: I once told a teacher I want to die (albeit out of anger/stress) IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE and nobody cared.
Damn, that's really pathetic of them. Sad
Well a lot of stuff, but I feel the main fact is I see a lot of people I consider talented, and who I think have the potential to be great people, be let down by something as small as a grade, like it's something so easy to attach your own self-esteem too in a society that thinks 'this determines your intelligence, and is the thing that will determine if you succeed'.
Well a lot of stuff, but I feel the main fact is I see a lot of people I consider talented, and who I think have the potential to be great people, be let down by something as small as a grade, like it's something so easy to attach your own self-esteem too in a society that thinks 'this determines your intelligence, and is the thing that will determine if you succeed'.
(01-07-2020, 05:55 PM)Acratios Wrote: I feel the main fact is I see a lot of people I consider talented, and who I think have the potential to be great people, be let down by something as small as a grade, like it's something so easy to attach your own self-esteem too in a society that thinks 'this determines your intelligence, and is the thing that will determine if you succeed'.

Oh yeah, that always made me sad. So much unnecessary suffering...
Sad
(01-07-2020, 05:55 PM)Acratios Wrote: I feel the main fact is I see a lot of people I consider talented, and who I think have the potential to be great people, be let down by something as small as a grade, like it's something so easy to attach your own self-esteem too in a society that thinks 'this determines your intelligence, and is the thing that will determine if you succeed'.

Oh yeah, that always made me sad. So much unnecessary suffering...
Sad
I can't remember anything I learned, which makes me feel stupid next to people who naturally absorb information. Especially at my university, where people generally like school and enjoy the things they are learning because they chose to learn about it. I feel alone, even though I have friends, and it feels like an expensive waste of time.
I can't remember anything I learned, which makes me feel stupid next to people who naturally absorb information. Especially at my university, where people generally like school and enjoy the things they are learning because they chose to learn about it. I feel alone, even though I have friends, and it feels like an expensive waste of time.
That they shove information down your throat and get mad at you when it doesn't fit.
I have emotions too! I am only human of course.

Wink
That they shove information down your throat and get mad at you when it doesn't fit.
I have emotions too! I am only human of course.

Wink
All your arguments why school isn't the best place to learn, socialize and spend your best years at 
are devalueted by "some students just make up excuses for their laziness or they are loosers who didn't manage to adapt to school. It's entirely your fault!". School is fine, these are children who are defective, we will explain this by mental disorders or puberty and feed them with drugs which make them dumb and obedient. But seriously, why do people think it's ok for youth to spend 12 years in highly unpleasant place which takes over literally all their life? Why do they behave like they know better how do we feel and what's good for us? Presumably people under 18 are too dumb to decide what to do, if they are not kept in cages they will mess around and drink and smoke or whatever. That's how the youth is treated – like mindless animals. And then adults get concerned why do we have so many cases of deviant behavior, mental problems, school shootings and disrespect towards teachers. 
Every student who dares to question accepted school rules is immediately labeled as disruptive, rebellious and clueless. School adapts you to society – popular opinion (read: urban myth for the narrow-minded). No wonder we have an intolerant, cruel society of abusers and passive helpless consumers. I don't want to live in such a world.
All your arguments why school isn't the best place to learn, socialize and spend your best years at 
are devalueted by "some students just make up excuses for their laziness or they are loosers who didn't manage to adapt to school. It's entirely your fault!". School is fine, these are children who are defective, we will explain this by mental disorders or puberty and feed them with drugs which make them dumb and obedient. But seriously, why do people think it's ok for youth to spend 12 years in highly unpleasant place which takes over literally all their life? Why do they behave like they know better how do we feel and what's good for us? Presumably people under 18 are too dumb to decide what to do, if they are not kept in cages they will mess around and drink and smoke or whatever. That's how the youth is treated – like mindless animals. And then adults get concerned why do we have so many cases of deviant behavior, mental problems, school shootings and disrespect towards teachers. 
Every student who dares to question accepted school rules is immediately labeled as disruptive, rebellious and clueless. School adapts you to society – popular opinion (read: urban myth for the narrow-minded). No wonder we have an intolerant, cruel society of abusers and passive helpless consumers. I don't want to live in such a world.
probably the fact that above all of the criticisms and problems with schooling, and despite the fact that there are so many confirmed things wrong with it, the people with power don't do anything about it, as if they want people to be miserable.
probably the fact that above all of the criticisms and problems with schooling, and despite the fact that there are so many confirmed things wrong with it, the people with power don't do anything about it, as if they want people to be miserable.
(05-04-2020, 02:35 PM)sidney Wrote: probably the fact that above all of the criticisms and problems with schooling, and despite the fact that there are so many confirmed things wrong with it, the people with power don't do anything about it, as if they want people to be miserable.
They do! They need miserable people to buy things they don't need, be dependent on medicine, get brainwashed by commercials and television, pay for services (including educational) instead of doing something themselves... It keeps so many people busy! John Tailor Ghatto ("Dumbing us down") and Ivan Illich ("Deschooling society") explain why schools keep our economic system alive. They claim that people should get rid of schools because philosophy of consumerism threatens the environment and leads to depletion of natural resources.
(05-04-2020, 02:35 PM)sidney Wrote: probably the fact that above all of the criticisms and problems with schooling, and despite the fact that there are so many confirmed things wrong with it, the people with power don't do anything about it, as if they want people to be miserable.
They do! They need miserable people to buy things they don't need, be dependent on medicine, get brainwashed by commercials and television, pay for services (including educational) instead of doing something themselves... It keeps so many people busy! John Tailor Ghatto ("Dumbing us down") and Ivan Illich ("Deschooling society") explain why schools keep our economic system alive. They claim that people should get rid of schools because philosophy of consumerism threatens the environment and leads to depletion of natural resources.